Independent counselors/education consultants (as defined in IACAC By-Laws) whose professional objectives are consistent with the purposes of IACAC may be eligible for voting membership, provided they fit into one of the four categories:
- Professionals with NACAC or IACAC voting membership in the current or the immediately preceding membership year.
- Professionals with a membership in the Higher Education Consultants Association (HECA) or professional membership in the Independent Educational Consultants Association (IECA). Professionals who fall into this category must provide IACAC with proof of current membership in HECA or IECA.
- Professionals with two years of experience as an educational consultant/counselor OR a bachelor’s degree and two years of college admission counseling experience in a secondary school, postsecondary setting, or a not-for-profit organization eligible for IACAC membership. Applicants who fall into this category must also submit a written recommendation from a current IACAC member who has known the applicant for at least two years in a professional capacity.
- Professionals with documented completion of a practicum-based counseling program from a member-eligible institution. Applicants who fall into this category must also submit a written recommendation from a current IACAC member who has known the applicant for at least two years in a professional capacity.
To be considered for membership, individuals must:
- Provide copies of professional literature or website links outlining their relevant college counseling services.
- Submit a description of college counseling services provided.
All required materials must be submitted with application.