2020-2021 Committee Chairs
Professional Development Council Team
Will Barefield, NACAC Delegate Director – Postsecondary
The Inclusion, Access and Success Committee shall advance the association’s commitment to inclusion for underserved students and the educational professionals who guide them. The IAS Committee strives to heighten awareness, consciousness and sensitivity to the issues of culture, race, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender, age and other differences as they pertain to post-secondary access. The IAS committee develops educational programs for counseling professionals working with students who, for reasons of disadvantaged experiences, are often denied access to post-secondary educational opportunities.
- Submit IACAC newsletter articles relating to IAS committee or IAS subcommittee topics.
- Continue to promote and publicize Step by Step guides (specifically to graduate students in counseling programs, middle schools, and outside Chicago)
- Create College Advising Guides and/or resources for Homeless Students
- Create College Advising Guides and/or resources for LGBTQ community
- Offer a session at IACAC annual Conference on LGBTQ students.
- Each subcommittee to expand their goals and efforts on targeted underrepresented populations.
College Advising Guide for Undocumented Students
The Inclusion, Access, and Success Committee has published a guide designed to provide assistance to the high school counselors in Illinois who work with undocumented students. There are approximately 1.6 million undocumented students under the age of 18 are currently living in the United States, 65,000 of whom will graduate each year from high school. Learn more about the College Advising Guide for Undocumented Students.