Bike O’Fun Tour 2019
Sunday, June 16 – Wednesday, June 19, 2019
On the Bike O’Fun summer tour, professional school counselors Sarah McDougal and Paul Welsh from Fenton High School will lead colleagues on this 3-day bicycle tour. Sarah and Paul are experienced cyclists and regularly tour with a similar group known as the Tour d’Admission.
Participants are expected to travel on their own to the designated start campus, and we will carry all our own gear during the ride (no support and gear “SAG” vehicle). All travel between colleges will be via bicycle on the safest routes possible. Most days will include 35-45 miles of road biking at a pace that is safe and easy for all riders (approximately 10 mph).
This trip is limited to the first 20 registrants.
Illinois State University
Illinois Wesleyan University
University of Illinois – Springfield
Schools subject to change
Registration & Cost
- Thanks to the generous support of IACAC and the host institutions, there is no fee to participate in this tour.
- Refundable deposit required to register: $50 for IACAC members, $100 for non-members.
- The deposit will be refunded in full upon completion of the tour.
- Please be ready to pay the full deposit with a credit card when registering.
- Each participant is expected get to our initial meeting spot and back home again.
- Each rider must bring his or her own bicycle, helmet, and other equipment. Potential riders are encouraged to contact the tour organizers with any questions about appropriate gear.
- Each rider must carry all of their own gear during the ride (no support and gear “SAG” vehicle).
- Most or all lodging will be provided by host schools.
- Most meals will be provided by host schools.
- Some meals en route will be quick stops paid for by the individual participant.
- Registration is open to the first 20 participants.
- Additional participants will be placed on a waitlist.
Tentative Trip Details
Sunday, June 16: The group assembles in Bloomington. (Leaders will assist with pre-staging vehicles and other logistics.) Overnight accommodations provided by Illinois State University. Dinner and information session with ISU admission staff.
Monday, June 17: Breakfast and tour with Illinois Wesleyan University staff. Cycle approximately 35 miles to Lincoln. Overnight accommodations provided by Lincoln College. Tour, information session, and dinner with Lincoln admission staff.
Tuesday, June 18: Cycle approximately 40 miles to Springfield. Tour, information session and dinner with University of Illinois Springfield admission staff. Overnight accommodations provided by UIS.
Wednesday, June 19: Cycle approximately 40 miles to Jacksonville. Tour, information session and lunch with Illinois College admission staff. Tour ends.
This tour requires a high level of physical activity. Participants will cycle 40-60 miles daily and carry all of their own gear. This is a self-supported cycling tour with no support and gear (SAG) vehicle. Once on campus, we will meet with admission staff and tour each school by foot or on bike.