skip to Main Content

College Advising Guide for Undocumented Students > Elmhurst College

Updated: January 2016

Does your college knowingly admit undocumented students?


Would you advise the disclosure of their status in the application process through their essay or counselor recommendation?

Yes, by disclosing your status, it gives us the opportunity to better assist you in the enrollment process.

Contact person for undocumented students, parents, and counselors:

Paulette Lopez
Admission Counselor
(630) 617-3633

Do you have institutional aid or merit/talent based scholarships for which an undocumented student would be eligible?

All students are eligible for consideration for our merit-based academic scholarships. Scholarships range from $5000-$18,000 per year. Enrichment scholarships are valued at $2000 per year (for students underrepresented at the College).

How would an undocumented student apply for financial assistance or a need-based scholarship at your institution? Are they required to complete a CSS Profile or an institutional financial aid application in lieu of a FAFSA?

We welcome the submission of the income assessment form (for the academic year in which the student will enroll).  The form can be found online at:

Interested students should contact Paulette Lopez in the Office of Admission for further counseling and information. or 630-617-3633.

When completing the question on the application regarding citizenship is there an applicable choice such as “non-citizen” or “other” and if not, should they leave the question blank? Is a blank field permitted when completing an online application?

Students can mark either non-citizen or DACA as appropriate on our application.

How should an undocumented student answer the question regarding social security number? Should they use zeros or leave it blank? Again, is a blank field permitted when submitting an online application?

We do not require social security numbers on our application.  Students should leave this section blank.

Can students submit an online application if they are paying the application fee with a fee-waiver?


If undocumented students are required to complete a paper application, do the online instructions direct them to do so?


Do any state laws exist that restrict an unauthorized student’s access to higher education or could cause them to feel generally unsafe living within the state?


Are there any institutional policies that exist at your college requiring administrators to report a student’s status?


Do you believe that the mission of your institution creates an environment where an undocumented student would be embraced and feel welcome on your campus?


We do not have an application fee to apply and undocumented students may apply online at

Back To Top